Photo via La Nación

To be honest, the weather this weekend was too confusing to focus on much else. Do I take a coat or will I have to carry it around everywhere afterwards? Or do I leave without it and risk freezing later? Such pressing questions and confusion would be too much for anyone.

Gif via Giphy
Gif via Giphy

Or maybe you just did a whole lot of fun things over the weekend and simply forgot to check out the news. That sounds a bit healthier. Either way, BA is here with an update of what happened over the weekend.

  • President Mauricio Macri arrived in China on Sunday to meet with President Xi Jinping. Most of the official agenda is set to start this week, and there is a lot to go through including chilled beef and infrastructure projects. Foreign Minister Susana Malcorra has, however, cautioned against exaggerating the expectations of Macri’s visit, saying that it’s easy to get carried away: “Crunching numbers with China can often lead to ‘selling smoke’ [vender humo, or buying into something worthless]. The President doesn’t want that […] he wants to work in a prudent manner on concrete issues.” Yesterday, Macri and Juliana Awada were received by Xi Jinping and his wife at the Great Hall of the People. There, they enjoyed the One Belt, One Road (OBOR) event, an international cooperation forum, where they rubbed shoulders with 27 other world leaders. Macri, for example, bumped into Putin — apparently during his off-time from playing Soviet tunes on the piano.
Photo via Radio Cadena Sol
Photo via Radio Cadena Sol

  • The federal court in La Plata has refused to free Christian Von Wernich under the 2×1 ruling: Von Wernich was a chaplain during the dictatorship for the Buenos Aires Province police who has been sentenced to life imprisonment. Judge Pablo Daniel Vega said that not only did the Supreme Court’s majority vote on the issue go against Argentina’s international agreements, but pointed out that Von Wernich’s time in preventive prison had been insufficient to be privy to the 2×1 benefit anyway. Over the weekend, the Supreme Court also released a statement to confirm that they will be revisiting their controversial ruling now that Congress has limited its application (as well as taking into account the public outcry that ensued). Their original ruling will not be changed, but the issue will have to be reassessed with each pending case, now taking into account the new law. Read more: Senate Limits The Reach Of The Supreme Court’s Controversial ‘Two for One’ Ruling

Photo via La Nación

Photo via La Nación

  • According to a study by the Social Studies and Community Service Center (CESyAC), a consumer association, a family needs over AR $1,064.45 a day to live in the City of Buenos Aires. The study takes into account a hypothetical family in question has four members and rents the apartment that they live in. 21 percent of their spending goes towards food and cleaning products while the remaining 79 percent is used for rent and domestic services, among other expenses.
Photo via Radio Mitre
Photo via Radio Mitre
  • Meanwhile, in sports, the superclásico took place yesterday and things did not go well for Boca Juniors, to say the least: not only did it lose to River Plate, their sworn enemy, 3-1, but it suffered the defeat on their own turf (the historic stadium La Bombonera). Boca is still at the top of the First Division, but the margin has been narrowed considerably. Meanwhile, in the Libertadores, Independiente beat Racing 2-1 in another clásico.

“Boca fans start to leave La Bombonera”

  • While your friends were Instagramming their food at Feria Masticar, two of Argentina’s best-known chefs Donato De Santis and Christophe Krywonis went to a restaurant in the Villa 31 to try out its menu and dish out some advice. It was opened last year by Peruvian chef José Luiz Zapata: the visit was part of a program by the Ministry of Modernization that puts entrepeneurs working in more vulnerable neighborhoods in touch with mentors from their field in order to push their business forward. “The impact of the initiative is [both] human [and] economic,” said the Minister for Modernization, Andy Freire, to Perfil.
Photo via Perfil
Photo via Perfil
  • Sticking to food (a good thing to focus on), a 22-year-old with Down syndrome, Mateo Kawaguchi has qualified as one of the world’s best pizza chefs at the World Pizza Championship in Italy. He came fourth in the “pan pizza” category (there are 12, including a pizza triathlon) with a 60 by 40 centimeter pizza — of the Argentine team, Kawaguchi went the furthest in the competition. And you were so proud of rustling up some last-minute pasta last night…

Go fogrth and show yourselves to be well-informed, my loyal Monday readers!



Publicado en Bubble.ar

Compartir esto /Share thisShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInPin on PinterestShare on RedditShare on VK